Many people like leather seats for many reasons, and they can also give a car a more solid appearance. However, leather seats can be quite impractical and expensive, that is why many car owners tend to choose covers over their seats made of another material. If you have not yet decided on what kind of upholstery for covers to choose, below I enumerated pros of genuine leather.
Pros of leather for car’s seat covers:
- They are difficult to get dirty: leather is much harder to get dirty than any fabric upholstery;
- Genuine leather is resistant to common dirt and liquid stains;
- Easy to clean: such covers have a smooth and silky surface, making it very easy to clean;
- It has a pleasant odor: unlike fabric upholstery, leather seat covers do not absorb any odors but offer a distinct scent, which many people call the aroma of a “new car”;
- This material has a soft, thick layer that provides cushioning and support, making it very comfortable to sit at;
- Leather can reduce the number of allergens in a car, as dust and dirt do not stick to leather covers as much as a fabric upholstery;
Do leather covers damage car seats?
The most controversial opinion among car owners: some believe that leather covers (no matter natural or synthetic) must be covered with something protective as well, and others believe that covers cause the accelerated wear and tear of seat covers. I think both groups are quite reasonable. Leather material is very sensitive to scratches, so you may want to cover the covers. However, if you use cheap leather covers then you don’t have to invest money into other covers.
Make sure to take care after leather seat covers to maintain its elasticity and durability. Covers made of synthetic animal skin must be fixed so you could sit without squirming resulting in scratches.
Taking into account all the above-mentioned facts about genuine leather seat covers, I’ve tested a few leather materials by the popular U.S. manufacturers. The results are given below, the best materials were included to my top. I hope these materials will help to choose the leather seat covers for cars.
Some of the best leather seat covers, according to the tests by Leather-Toolkits:
- Big Ant has a nice beige color. This is a healthy, breathable material for leather seats and it is great for simple installation;
- Big Ant is another black-flexible, healthy material good for installation;
- FH Group Black is a set of 2 front bucket covers, with the side airbag compatible and rear bench covers;
I also recommend such brands for leather cover seats: Auto Expressions, Leader Accessories.
Instruction: How to Install Leather Seat Cover?
I’ve also attached the video instruction for installing leather seat covers in a car if you are interested. Make sure to leave your feedback on this issue. I will upload new videos and reviews here.